Mubeena has some tips on the feel-good benefits of laughter
It might sound obvious, but laughter really can make us feel happier! It's been proven that a good laugh stimulates your organs, soothes tension, relieves stress and improves your immune system.
Try and find a reason to laugh once a day, or at least once a week:
Physical benefits of laughter:
• Relieves physical tension/stress and leaves your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes!
• Boosts immunity
• Triggers the release of endorphins-the body’s feel-good chemicals
• Lowers stress chemicals
• Decreases pain
Mental health benefits of laughter:
• Stops distressing emotions: It is hard to feel angry, anxious, or sad when you’re laughing.
• Reduces stress and increases energy
• Adds joy to life
• Helps to shift perspective by allowing you to see a situation in a humorous/less threatening light.
Social benefits of laughter:
• Diffuses conflict, as long as you are laughing together and not at the expense of others.
• Strengthens relationships-shared laughter can keep relationships fun!
• Helps us bond with others
• Heals resentments and disagreements
Did you know that children naturally smile and laugh at least 100 times a day?! As we grow into adults, our lives become more serious, less playful and we don’t laugh as much. So, how do we get back to laughing more?
• It all starts with a smile! Smile at yourself in the mirror, smile at your friends and co-workers. It is hard to resist a cheerful smile, and others will smile back. Notice the effect on yourself and others.
• Watch a funny movie or show,
• Share a good joke or funny story,
• Play with your pet,
• Be silly with your children, partner, or friends (or by yourself when no one’s looking!),
• Write down a funny memory,
• Keep funny or humorous pictures around the home or on your screensaver,
• Learn about (and join) laughter yoga classes,
• Laugh at yourself! Who hasn’t run around looking for keys when they’re in your pocket all along?!,
• Laugh at least once a day-set aside 5 to 10 minutes every day and find something that amuses you,
• Watch a short comedy video online,
• Arrange to meet up with a friend or family member who always has funny stories to make you smile.