MENU menu

Independent Sexual Violence Adviser and Advocacy 

ISVA Service


Independent Sexual Violence Advisers (ISVAs) provide emotional and practical support and information to victims and survivors of sexual violence who have reported to the police, or are considering reporting to the police.


If you have reported to the police, our team of qualified ISVAs can support you throughout the criminal justice process, working closely with the police and other agencies.  The role of our ISVAs is to:


  • Ensure your voice is heard.
  • Help you make the choices that feel right for you.
  • Accompany you to important appointments and to court.
  • Support you with your next steps after the legal process is over, regardless of the outcome of the case.

If you are considering reporting to the police, our ISVAs can also help you, by:


  • Providing you with impartial information to enable you to make an informed decision.
  • Offering an overview of police processes and what to expect if you do decide to report.
  •  Supporting you in your next steps.

CARA provides an ISVA service to adults, young people and children who have been victims of sexual violence from across mid and North Essex.   


Most of our ISVA clients are referred to CARA through the Police or the Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC), using our online referral form.


#BreakTheSilence Film Campaign

Rape Crisis South London  has launched #BreakTheSilence,  a series of films for young survivors aimed at explaining the police, the court system and the ISVA support available from Rape Crisis.   



Advocacy service


CARA offers an advocacy service to our clients, providing practical support to victims of sexual violence on, for example, financial, legal and housing issues.


CARA Graphic



If you have reported or are considering reporting to the police and would like ISVA support, you can refer yourself to our ISVA service using our online self-referral form,  or you can telephone us on


01206 769795

We try to answer calls within office hours.  Out of office hours, or if we are unable to answer the phone, calls will go to answerphone.



GPs, social workers, mental health workers or other professionals can refer clients for counselling

through our online referral form.