Independent Sexual Violence Advisers (ISVAs) provide emotional and practical support and information to victims and survivors of sexual violence who have reported to the police, or are considering reporting to the police. Our ISVAs support victims and survivors of all ages, and all genders.
If you have reported to the police, our team of qualified ISVAs can support you throughout the criminal justice process, working closely with the police and other agencies. The role of our ISVAs is to:
- Ensure your voice is heard.
- Help you make the choices that feel right for you.
- Accompany you to important appointments and to court.
- Support you with your next steps after the legal process is over, regardless of the outcome of the case.
If you are considering reporting to the police, our ISVAs can also help you, by:
- Providing you with impartial information to enable you to make an informed decision.
- Offering an overview of police processes and what to expect if you do decide to report.
- Supporting you in your next steps.
CARA provides an ISVA service to adults, young people and children who have been victims of sexual violence from across mid and North Essex.
Most of our ISVA clients are referred to CARA through the Police or the Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC), using our online referral form, but you can also refer yourself to our ISVA service using our online self-referral form, or by calling our enquiry line on 01206 769795.
#BreakTheSilence Film Campaign
CARA offers an advocacy service to our clients, providing practical support to victims of sexual violence on, for example, financial, legal and housing issues. You can find out more by calling our enquiry line on 01206 769795,
If you have reported or are considering reporting to the police and would like ISVA support, you can refer yourself to our ISVA service using our online self-referral form, or you can telephone us on
We try to answer calls within office hours. Out of office hours, or if we are unable to answer the phone, calls will go to answerphone.